Thursday, December 30, 2010
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010
I want...some jewelry! Can you help me with that?
December 13, 2010 3:13 PM
Yes, Angie, there is a Santa Claus.
What are you looking forward to next week?
Monday, December 13, 2010
- Comment on this post telling me one thing you'd really like for Christmas. One entry.
- Follow Duck Duck Cow (or tell me you're already following). One entry.
- Follow The Cake Cow (or tell me you're already following). One entry.
- Update your Facebook status with a link to this contest (might need to "friend" me on this one). Worth 3 entries.
- Tweet about this contest with a link. Worth 3 entries.
- Blog about My Kind of Presents giveaway and link to this post. Worth 5 entries.
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Remember our roller coaster?
It's been sitting in the basement ever since the Boy got a little too rowdy. Well, the kids haven't forgotten about their favorite indoor toy. They started pestering me about bringing the thing back out this summer. I suggested it might make a great gift for Baby, since we got it when Boo turned two. They readily agreed. I expected them to forget. They didn't. I told them they had to bring the coaster upstairs all by themselves. They did.
Here's the Boy teaching Baby how to push off by herself.
And here's Baby finding other methods of entertaining herself.
I think we might be in trouble.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
- My husband's noise-canceling headphones are uber awesome for when I need to focus. I dedicate this win to them. Unfortunately, the Man won't let me wear them during the day.
- I cannot spell "restaurant" correctly the first time through. (Including just now...even when I was thinking about it.) What did writers do before spell check and whiteout?
- Planning a Christmas party for 300 people is not fun when I've got a word count to meet. Then again, it's not all that fun at any other time, either. I just hope we don't run out of food. Or that I make children cry. Again.
- My kids are perfectly fine eating cold cereal for three meals a day. But I have to make sure at least one of those is a high-fiber brand.
- Usually when writing, my muse comes in the form of an iTunes mix and copious amounts of hot chocolate. This year, my only muse was Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera. This is possible the only reason I'm sad to see the month end.
Friday, November 26, 2010
The upstairs hallway was nearly impassable from all the various piles of clothes. And Boo was getting rather creative with her outfits at school...hey, when I'm wearing pajama pants and t-shirts daily, I don't make a lot of laundry. Active children and husband? Different story.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Monday, November 15, 2010
Friday, November 12, 2010
And just because YouTube is so much more fun than slamming my head repeatedly against the keyboard...
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Unicorn (fantasy theme), angel (fantasy), cupcake (baking), weiner dog (dogs), and perfume bottle (beauty). I see them everywhere I go now. Boo loves them. In fact, she may love them a little too much...
And she just got even more for her birthday. Oh boy. It's a good thing she's not allergic to rubber!
Friday, November 5, 2010
First, Mind Games hosted a Halloween swap for kids. Boo and Boy had a great time planning what we would include for our partners at Family of the Vine. And Uno, Dos, and Tres certainly didn't disappoint us!
Amazing! Most items came in threes, so the kids each got one.
- Halloween Cut-Outs
- Pumpkin Carving kits
- Pumpkin bags
- Halloween tablecloth
- Frankenstein's Monster bucket
- Mini cookie cutters (you know how I love those tiny cutters!)
- Green Halloween cups
- Ceramic pumpkins
- Spider notepad
- Harvest-themed foam craft supplies
- Halloween napkins
- Witch's Brew dishtowel
- Noisemakers in pumkin and bats shapes (umm...had to hide those after the first day, sorry!)
- Halloween cupcake liners (woot!)
- An assortment of plastic bugs, spiders, and skeletons
These are their creations: spooky Halloween rides for the skeletons to enjoy. Thank you, mamagames, for hosting a fun swap. And thanks to Vallimasoos for being such a great swap partner!
Next up, ATLYankeeBelle hosted a Halloween swap and I was partnered with the fabulous Kate from Southern Belle Simple.
First, I have to explain. I took a picture of all the goodies when they first arrived but, while preparing for the kids' costume parade and freeing up space on my memory card, I accidentally deleted it. When I realized my mistake, I rounded up everything I could get my hands on and took another picture. I know I am missing the bag of PB Twix bars (because I ate 'em). There seems to be other items that I can't remember...but I will say this was a cool package and a really fun swap!
- Candy corn tealight
- Big bag o' goodies
- Pumpkin dip bowl with spreader spoon and Italian dip mix
- Halloween cookie cutters
- Halloween-themed erasers
- Gel pens (also not pictured because I was already using them)
This got me thinking about my next swap. I had a great time getting the kids involved with the Halloween package so I thought I might do a kid-themed swap, where your kids not only have a say in what goes in the box but are also the end recipients. What do you think?
* I initially wrote "kid swap" but that has completely different connotations and I ain't never giving Baby up. The other two, however, are open for discussion.
Monday, November 1, 2010
Me: Wouldn't that be cool? Going as the Tin Man and dressing like a robot?
Boy: He acts funny.
Okay, so maybe I never realized how effeminate the Tin Man is in the original production. Undaunted, I hauled the kids to the costume store, sure that trying on an actual costume would win him over. They had *nothing* for boys. There were plenty of Dorothys for girls, and her older, less morale sister for adults. So I did what any realistic person would do in that situation and totally caved.
They're still in theme, though. I didn't give in completely. And I never did get a picture of me in costume. Since we were all being heroes (or sticks in the mud), I went as the ToothFairy and Baby is my fairy-in-training. I wore flannel pajamas with matching wings, a glittery tiara, wand, and bag with a big tooth on it. If you're my friend on Facebook, you might catch a glimpse of me in some of the ward party pictures, but I was too busy to stand still for too long.
Unfortunately, it was cold and rainy when we went trick or treating. Baby went home with the Man to hand out candy. Boo made it about eight houses and then headed home. Boy would have stayed out all night but I was cold so we headed home. He didn't get very much candy from the neighbors but we didn't get nearly as many trick-or-treaters, either, so we had plenty leftover.
Arriving back home shivering and wet but before bedtime, the kids jumped into their jammies and cuddled up for a movie.
Awww...makes me want to give them more chocolate.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
There was so much in this box, I hope I don't forget anything:
- Dishtowel with flower details
- Martha Grimes book about the publishing industry (goes with the whole "wannabe writer" thing as well as my bookworm-ness.)
- Polka dot picture frame
- Glass perfume bottle (Love this!)
- Handmade journal (I'm about three pages away from needing a new one so perfect timing.)
- Small bag (Very cute!)
- Coasters (Almost too pretty to use...now I have to teach my kids what "coasters" are.)
- Box of Japanese art-inspired notecards (Just lovely!)
- 3 decorative flowers (Thinking I'm gonna attach these to a headband.)
- Pretzel M&Ms (Blue and chocolate? She read my mind.)
- Fuzzy socks (With the chilly weather setting, these are great for those nights when the Man isn't around to warm my feet on his legs.)
- Napkins (I guess we'll have to stop using paper towels...we're getting fancy around here!)
- Crafted box full of handmade tags (Gorgeous! She has all different styles and occasions, all with blue. This girl is so talented!)
It's tiny; only about a inch. Found it in the bottom of the box after I took the picture of everything else. I need to find a good place for this so I can see it daily. It makes me smile.
Let's share the goodness! If you participated in my swap, please use the Mr Linky below to connect us to your post about the package (please link directly to that post and not your main page). It's fun to see what everyone else received as well as getting ideas for the next time around.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
I follow you on Cake Cow already
October 19, 2010 10:40 AM
Congrats, my friend!
Giveaways are fun. I need to do another one soon...any suggestions on what you'd want to win? Jewelry is always fun. Maybe another cookbook? Gift certificate to The Chocolate? What do you think?
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Monday, October 18, 2010
- Lots of chocolate quotes and anecdotes! Every recipe has one. Makes my chocolate quote calendar unnecessary.
- Annette doesn't just give you the "what" for a recipe but also the "why." This is one of the reason why I love Alton Brown's Good Eats, because it explains the reasons behind doing things a certain way, not just bossing me around and leaving me uninformed.
- There are the classic recipes (like a basic chocolate cake - several, actually) but some new twists on old favorites (I'm dying to try to chocolate pavlova).
- Not only are you getting over 125 recipes to recreate heaven on earth, but the one I'm giving away is signed by the author. 'Cuz we're, like, totally tight and stuff. Seriously, we are! I've even been to her house (of course, I bribed my way in the door with cupcakes...).
- Leave me a comment here saying something about chocolate. Anything. Except that you hate the stuff because then I'll have to block your access to my blog and blot your name out of the records.
- Visit Annette's blog and tell her I sent you (I will verify this because I'm all about promoting me).
- Follow me (or let me know that you already do).
- Follow The Cake Cow.
- Share this giveaway on Facebook (helps if you're also my friend so I can verify this).
- Blog about my giveaway with a link here.
Monday, October 11, 2010
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Aunt Denise baked the cake and then (bravely) let all three kids decorate it. You can almost tell which sections match which child. There's a horde of chocolate chips (pirates, I'm told) swimming in sprinkles. That has to be the work of the Boy. Then the careful writing (it's harder to write on a cake than it looks) and flowers. Obviously da Boo's contribution. Those smudges of color amongst the fingerprint up in the corner could not have been made by anyone else except Baby.
And it all tastes really good with rocky road ice cream.
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Friday, September 24, 2010
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Thursday, September 16, 2010
It's the molecule structure of Theobromine, the chemical in chocolate that makes you feel good. I thought it fitting, given my penchant for a nicely-crafted piece of chocolate.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
I joined the Moveable Feast Swap, where the package was to be food-themed. Oh, this was going to be fun! My partner was A.J. from iKnit.iPurl. She amazingly crafty and posts beautiful embroidery along with her knitted projects. I got to know A.J. a little bit through email and thoroughly loved getting her package together. So when my package arrived in the mail, I couldn't wait to rip it open.
Where to begin...
Pumpkin Spice Bread Mix - Looks soooo good!
Harvest Cupcake Liners - To add to my abundant collection of cupcake liners. I like cupcakes.
Candy Melts - Always handy when designing cakes.
Heart Cupcake Liners - Did she see my Valentine's Day madness? These are perfect!
Handmade Blue Hot Pads - Already in use! Gorgeous!
Vanilla Beans - Ooooo...I feel a creme brulee coming on!
Cupcake Decor - Boo swiped this as soon as I took it out of the box. Stinker.
cupcakes! Cookbook - And I already made a recipe (and wiped drool from the pages). The picture turned out weird but trust me when I say the caramel-covered tea cakes are addictive.
Thank you, thank you, A.J.!
And in honor of my birthday - because everyone should be celebrating it - I will be hosting my first swap. Now tell me how excited you are! (Oh come on...you can fake enthusiasm pretty easy in a 2-D comment.)
Sunday, September 12, 2010
He might be reading when my blog when he claims to be playing Facebook games. I think he likes me. Maybe he will sit next to me during story-time...
Friday, September 10, 2010
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Because I swear I am addicted...I just mailed off one yesterday and here I am, signing back up for another. Mamarazzi hosts the best swaps! This one should be lots of fun. Making a package of my favorite guilty pleasures...but would my partner really want hot chocolate mix, bubble bath, and a mix tape of old 80s music? Who wouldn't, right?
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Anyway, here she is:
We had a bit of a clothing emergency the night before school started. See, I recently discovered Crazy 8's clothes and I really love them. I had an outfit all picked out for that big first impression, but when I went to lay it out for her...the skirt looked ginormous. She tried it on and it slid down her hips. Not exactly the look I was going for. Luckily for us, we were also out of bread and milk and baby wipes so a trip to the store was already essential. I joined the ranks of the forlorn, hunting for correct sizes amongst the picked-over racks in Target (since I'd much rather give them my money than Wally World). And since the mall was already closed. I found this ensemble still on sale. Crisis averted!
The Boy starts kindergarten this year but not until next week. He's looking forward to riding the bus but not actually going to school. I think it's because he's going to miss me. And you can't really tell from this picture but his shirt has a zombie on it, demanding "BRAAAAAINS!" Apparently I am not the only one anticipating an undead apocalypse. We just vary in how excited we are at that prospect.
One of the things I like about my community are the seasonal traditions we developed over the years. For instance, on the first day of school, parents and kiddos gather at the bus stop, bringing breakfast with them. We've turned it into a fun little party; a nice way to send the kids off to school, where we can give high-fives to other moms or maybe even hand over the tissues to the occasional teary-eyed ones, all while we munch on donuts and silently pray that our daughter doesn't dump that whole cup of chocolate milk down her shirt because boy howdy, would we be in a fix. Or at least, most people bring donuts....Remember how I am trying to trim down my fluffiness? And have I mentioned how we're getting much better at recycling? So I stroll up to the party carrying this:
Mmmm...totally drool-worthy. Oh, but wait! I haven't opened it yet! Inside? Are these:
Frozen grapes. Like popsicles without the sticks and in wrappers that you eat! Who wouldn't love 'em? Well, everyone who was expecting cream puffs, apparently. I think they're the perfect snack to eat just before the kids get home from school, you know, so you have the energy to finally get out of bed and get something done, other than determining if those teens shuffling down the street might be looking to increase their grades by eating your brains.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Mario Kart on the Wii is really, really fun. Driving a real cart is even better! (Unless, of course, a younger cousin gets in the way...don't worry, he was fine!)
Kansas consists of sunflowers, cornfields, humidity, and bugs. Mostly the bugs.
Grandmas have magical abilities but Great-Grandma is even more beguiling, capable of soothing multiple babies at once.
Young boys would much rather sleep in a cave consisting of couch cushions and a table than share the pull-out sofa with their sister.
When visiting your cousins, you might discover you failed to pack an essential item: lipgloss. No worries, my Boo. Butter makes an excellent substitute. (And pay no attention to the odd looks you get from the other diners and wait staff...they're just envious that they didn't think of it first!)
And if you haven't already done so, enter to win a $25 gift certificate!
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (90)
- ► 2011 (127)
- ▼ December (6)
- ► November (10)
- ► October (6)
- ► September (10)
- ► August (8)
- ► 2009 (144)
- ► 2008 (208)