"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Failed Experiment

You know how you have a recipe and you're supposed to follow that recipe in order to get the desired results? Well, sometimes I like to go against the grain, swim upstream, march to the beat of my own drum and many other cliches. Sometimes, I don't wanna do what I'm told.

For Sunday's dinner, I made a special effort. My in-laws are back in town and my Beloved is leaving with his father to go on a week-long bike trip down in Moab. I show love through food. The menu: BBQ brisket, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, lemonade, green salad, and chocolate cloud cake for dessert. Are you licking your screen yet?

I'd made the rolls before but we were hosting a large crowd so I wanted to double the recipe. My breadmaker is rather large so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Then with 20 minutes to go on the dough cycle, I notice this:


Hrmmm...it's not supposed to look like that...Or like this -


Uh oh...maybe doubling the recipe wasn't such a good idea! My father-in-law was highly entertained by the fact that the dough was rising out of the machine. Me? Not so much.


This is what it looked like when the dough was done...time for the true test: baking the dough into rolls.


They turned out really good! No problem! But next time? I'm not doubling the recipe.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm a bread machine experimenter myself. My favorite variation is to make the standard "french bread" recipe but to add in about a cup of cheese (parmesian or cheddar), bacon bits, garlic, a few tablespoons of olive oil and a bunch of spices (red pepper, oregano, rosemary, cayenne pepper, garlic, basil, black pepper). The key to making the bread turn out well is to watch it when it is mixing and either add more oil or more flour to get the dough the right consistency. It's the only amazing thing I can do in the kitchen so I make it EVERY time we have guest.

Your rolls look delicious! I've never made homemade rolls before and it's one of those things that if anyone ever does for me I instantly bow before them. Making them for your in-laws is a smart move - way to win the best-daughter-in-law award!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm honored you've linked to me and find me readable. Some days I wonder when everyone is going to have enough of my insanity and just have me locked up ;)

Amanda said...

WOW!!! CRAZY! I am glad that the rolls turned out good anyway:) And yes...I did lick my screen!!!

Kristie said...

OOoooo...Sounds SO yummy!! Those rolls look delish!! Want to come and cook for me sometime? :)

B.L.T Springer said...

Wow jess those looks so yummy!!! I love fresh bread, rolls, cakes....all the yummy stuff!!! I should learn how to cook rolls! Congrats I wish I could have had a bite of it while was still hot with butter....mmmm

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive