"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Adventures in Uncharted Territory

Alas, I am an empty-nester...for four hours a week...until the baby comes. And it's great! The Boy started Preschool yesterday. Once again, I defied all pregnancy-hormone logic and didn't cry. No weeping, wailing or gnashing of teeth. Although maybe I hugged him three times too many before saying goodbye...


He insisted on having "spikey hair" for the first day. And he calls hair gel "jello" so how can I resist when he asks?


No first day jitters here! He got right to work on their first project.


I quietly left the room, waiting ever so briefly for him to come running after me. He didn't. Then I giggled all the way home, turned the tv on, and grabbed a Nutty Bar (or two), ready to catch up on some shows that didn't star a bi-lingual girl with a monkey or a clue-hiding dog. I was well into my second episode of Doctor Who , drooling over David Tennant, when the phone rang. It was the Boy's teacher. Uh oh. The Boy had an accident. Great. So I hurried out the door with a change of clothes (and shoes).

When I arrived, the Boy was with his teacher and the preschool director...in the men's restroom. Hrmmm...haven't been in one of those intentionally since I was in grade school. Apparently, all this restroom had was a handicap stall and a urinal. Not quite comfortable with the urinal, the Boy headed to the stall only to hesitate because the potty was so high. He didn't make it. And now the director was cleaning up the "spill" while I stripped the Boy down. For the next twenty minutes, I was constantly looking at the door, hoping that no grown men would need to make a pit stop. How awkward that would be!

While getting him into clean underwear, I looked into his teary eyes and he softly whispered "Can I go home with you?" Oh, the torment! How I wanted to carry him home and snuggle up together with more Nutty Bars...but he really needed to stay with his class. He let a couple of tears fall and I almost wavered. Luckily, the director said that it was snack time in his class and surely he wouldn't want to miss that. He was still quiet but let me guide him back to his class. Again, I left him there, perhaps a trifle more emotional than the first time - for both of us.

15 comments:

Rupper Family said...

Just you wait, your bishop is gonna come across your blog and find you something more than nutty bars to occupy your alone time...if not, you can move up here and take my calling for me!

Jo said...

Oh man! He almost gotcha mama! I think the teacher figured out you were getting all mushy and rescued you! Glad he went okay, I am sure he will do great.

Kristie said...

Enjoy your time alone!! I loved the write over of the name tag. You are so clever! :)

Robyn said...

Ok in that top picture he looks like a "mini me" of his dad! That is so crazy! So fun, he by the way, are you having a boy or a girl? I dont know if I have ever asked?

Jillybean said...

Other than the incident, how did he enjoy preschool?

The preschool should have kid sized potties.

Janell said...

It seems odd that they wouldn't have bathrooms that are usable by children.

Janell said...

It seems odd that they wouldn't have bathrooms that are usable by children.

Tipi said...

Come here Dessi!
I hold you!

{{Hugg}}

Amber said...

Poor little dude! I'm incredibly jealous of your 'free time'. If we don't have a baby then next year I'll have some of that... can't wait!

Nat said...

Awww...poor little guy! Congrats on your moments of blissful solitude! I sure could use some of that!

Emma said...

I hope the accident doesn't damper his enjoyment of preschool. I have been obsessed with Dr Who since June. I am currently on Season 3 episode 9 or 10. I love that show! To bad we don't live close enough to have Dr Who parties. I know there would be scrumptus desserts, yours and mine!

Luv2run said...

You got to love the free time. I sure did. Aspen was gone yesterday and wow I got so much done when she was gone. I couldn't believe it.

Kenney Crew said...

Sweet little boy. He looks so cute with his jello in his hair. He'll have better luck next time with the potty!

Brillig said...

Awwww, I'm doing a similar thing with my three-year old. Every time I drop him off at preschool in his clean undies, I wonder how soon it will be before i get the dreaded phone call. So far, so good!

(And my boys insist on spikey hair too! I love it!)

Amanda said...

SO CUTE with that BIG backpack on! And I almost cried when he wanted to come home with ya...I would have grabbed him in my arms and carried him home! I am a wimp! P would have never wanted to go if he was only 3 and I could have never left him if he asked to come home with me:) YOu are a good Mommy though and stronger than I!

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive