I found this list of "101 Books to Read Before You Die." Actually it was only 100 books; I added the last one. Along the list, I've bolded the ones I've read and sometimes made comments. Check it out.
1. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) Good! Liked the book better than the movie, of course.
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling) Is it just me or are these books getting darker and darker? Kids aren't going to be allowed to read #7 at the rate she's going.
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) I thought it was better than Da Vinci Code.
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) Really good! Barely mentions sex.
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald) Love the title! I am going to have to find this one.
18. The Stand (Stephen King) Ugh.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) One of my favorites!
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien) I'm also reading the Silmarillion, which is the prequel to all of these books.
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) I still don’t understand why this book is supposed to be wonderful...I didn’t like it much.
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) The answer is 42.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) There were two houses in Texas that could have been the set for this book! Kinda creepy.
28. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) I thought the movie was kinda scary for a kids' book. Went and got Turkish Delight. It's pretty tasty stuff!
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom) Sooooo boring! I wanted to kill Morrie, the cancer was taking too long.
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks) And loved the movie.
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) Been meaning to read this one...
34. 1984 (Orwell) I know, I can't believe I haven't read it, either.
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) Interesting but lots of naughty things.
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) Very thought-provoking.
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) Just re-read it for book group. Still cried.
45. Bible Can I still count this if I skipped a lot of the “And this guy begat him over here, and him over here begat that dude...”?
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas) Liked the movie, so I read the book. Backwards, I know.
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) Really good series! I was disappointed when I ran out of books.
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) Started reading it...stopped after a few chapters.
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) Read way back in High School. I like “Twilight” better.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Ann Brashares)
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) Even read the unabridged version. Did they really need 6 pages detailing the Paris sewer system?
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez) Serendity, anyone?
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According To Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) Can I count this if I was in the play? I read the script!
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) Really liked this book! And it wasn’t until years later that I realized they never tell us her name! (And no, it’s not Rebecca.)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen) And I even like the modern movie version “Clueless”
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams) And then there was that really freaky cartoon made.
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding) I can’t remember how this one ends so I might have to read it again.
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd) Interesting but too easy.
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton) More proof that boys do stupid things.
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)
101. The Book of Mormon (as translated by Joseph Smith)
Now it's your turn! Which books did you read and want to comment about? Which ones would you like to read?
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (90)
- ► 2011 (127)
- ► 2010 (88)
- ► 2009 (144)
- ► 2008 (208)
- Out Of Office Reply
- Is that Donny Osmond dancing with Weird AL???
- FHE: Following God's Plan
- We Had A Ball!
- Pride Goeth Before The Fall
- Good W's Around Here
- Happy, Happy Birthday to The Boy!
- FHE: Feelings (and BOY! Do I got 'em!)
- Good Kids - With Pictures to Prove It!
- How I Am Feeling Today...
- Deaf Bunnies At My House
- FHE: How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Easter Morning
- Happy Easter!
- Good Advice
- Confessions of a Hungry Bookworm
- Want a Chuckle?
- ▼ April (18)