"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Monday, April 21, 2008

Soap Opera Sunday: My Romance That Never Was

I've been wanting to post for Soap Opera Sunday for a looooooong time! I gots oodles of soapy goodness from all my boy-crazy adventures. For the first one, I am going to share with you my love that never came to be.

As a transfer student on BYU campus, I was amazed at just how big and how packed the campus really is. You never saw the same person twice, unless you waited for them to pass or were actively looking for them. But every Monday-Wednesday-Friday, on my way to the Tanner Building, I always saw the same guy. He was right out in front of the building when I was walking up. Now, remember, I used to be really cute and he was adorable himself so of course we noticed each other. After noticing each other a few times, we started realizing that we seemed to always notice each other. First we would smile or nod as we passed, but then we occasionally said hello. It was an expected part of my day and a nice little lift before a boring class. And as strange as it may seem, I never stopped to talk...until one day.

I was heading to the Tanner Building, as usually, looking oh so cute with my long curly hair and dark red lipstick. He pushed through the doors and headed out. Only, something was different. I never understood why but it seems that whenever someone has something wrong with their clothes, like their skirt is tucked into their pantyhose or there's a button undone, I always seem to notice. And no one else bothers to tell them, so I do, rather than have them be embarrassed later, having walked all the way across campus like that. Do you understand why I am telling you this? My guy had his zipper down.

Immediately, conflict ensues. Do I tell him? Do I actually stop him and talk to him, only to make him blush in a way I never intended? Or do I nod and walk on? Can I ignore it? Of course, I can't. So I decide I must talk to him. If it's meant to be...

I put my hand up in the international gesture for stop. He grins. Then he takes my hand and places it on his chest, drawing me closer to him.

"Did you want to talk to me?" he asks, still grinning.

"Uh, yeah," I start to lose my nerve...he has gorgeous eyes! No...Wait! You have to focus! "Actually, your zipper is down."

His grin falters.

"What?"

"Your zipper," I say again, trying to seem reassuring, to somehow convey that I don't judge him for his faulty trousers. "It's down."

He lets go of my hand and hurriedly scurries around me, tugging at his zipper.

"Uh, thanks," he mumbles as he strides away.

I can only sigh, and wait for Friday.

Friday comes and I attempt to look like it's business as usual as I stroll to the Tanner Building. He's no where in sight. I frown. This is odd...but maybe I hurried to class in order to see him so no big deal. Surely I will see him Monday.

Monday, same thing. No guy, zipper in any position. He's not there.

I never saw him again.

12 comments:

TheOneTrueSue said...

A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That's awesome.

I really want to do a Soap Opera Sunday post, but I'm afraid. Too many people I knew back then read my blog, and I'm afraid they'll all think I'm a nut for still thinking about things.

Which I am, but still. I don't want them KNOWING it for sure.

Emma said...

LOL I can't believe you never saw him again. Crazy

Heather said...

Have you googled him?

Tell the truth.

Wait-did you not stalk him enough to know his name?

Kateastrophe said...

HAHAHA that is awesome.

Amanda said...

I loved that story:)

Kenney Crew said...

How brave of you. His loss!

Tausha said...

I am sure that you are still cute-not used to be cute-now you are more mature so you get to be gorgeous!
Fabulous story! Oh-the college days!
Wouldn't it be funny if that guy somwhow found your blog and commented? This whole blogging world never ceases to surprise me!

Lindy said...

too funny--and tragic at the same time. I can't believe you followed through and told him--you are super brave.

Kristie said...

That is so funny! I got a good laugh at that one!!!!

Amber said...

I love your honesty there. :D Too bad it lost you the guy. But you're better off.

Rupper Family said...

Jess, too bad it wasn't Lucas Belk, once you gave him the go ahead to talk to you he would've stalked you...
If I did Soap Opera Sunday it would consist of the looneys who I couldn't get rid of. Ugh! The single days!
-Wendy

Brillig said...

HAHAHAHA! I'm seriously, like, SNORTING here. That's so so so awesome. I can't wait for more soapy stories. I'm so glad you finally decided to play!

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive