"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Worn Out Welcome

You might have noticed that I'm an emotional person. That might be why I get sentimentally attached to inanimate objects. It took me nine months to box up Baby's infant clothes because I was going to miss seeing those little outfits, even if there was no way she could fit them. There are stacks of the kids' homework with cute mistakes or funny observations. Ticket stubs from movies the Man and I went to when we were dating, pictures from my crazy teenager years, broken jewelry, and shirts that are several sizes too small. I keep it all.

Sometimes, you just have to say goodbye.

And sometimes, you really, really want to say goodbye but your son won't let you.

Remember the Boy's security blanket, affectionately called the mee mee? Remember how we mourned the loss when his beloved item went missing a year and a half ago? Remember the rejoicing and jubilation that resulted when the mee mee reappeared? Yeah...

This is what the mee mee looks like now:


It's in scraps. I find little shreds of it all over the house. At this point, I think it's less cotton, more snot and dirt. Now, being sentimental, I've saved a couple fragments for the Boy's memory box (and also to use as fodder for his teenage angst). But seriously...the rest of it has to go. Ewwww.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so the opposite;) Good luck with getting rid of the mee mee;)

Janell said...

I still have my baby blanket even though it's decades old. Its worn, but still as serviceable as something so small can be. A small part of me wishes it were in tatters like Boy's meemee so there would be a more obvious solution on what to do with my own. If it were in tatters, I'd memorialize a piece of it and cast the rest (probably quite literally) to the wind (so baby birds can enjoy it, my less rational part of my brain informs me).

Nat said...

Goodbye, mee mee!

Mary said...

I hold onto thing just like you!!I'm sure he'll appreciate his old craps many years later!

Mary said...

ok...I meant "scraps"...no pun intended, promise!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I agree, keep the blanket..saving it for him.

His Mee Mee is in better shape than my childhood blanket.

Bonnie the Boss said...

How did that go over? I am wondering if he slept and was able to move forward?

Cheryl said...

oh wow! That is total shreds! I have my baby blankets tucked away in a chest, but I have to say they look nothing like the mee mee! Good luck with trying to make him get rid of it. All of my kids have special blankets my mom made them and it would be world war 10!!! if I tried to get rid of them! Good luck!

Jessica G. said...

I haven't been able to pry it from his hands yet...but the pile of scraps has decreased.

Cheryl said...

another idea that might help, now that I think about it. Make him a new one. Have him pick out the fabric etc and he might be willing to give up the old one

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive