"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Friday, January 7, 2011

Because I Couldn't Care Less

Sorry, my friends! I've been attacked and held hostage by germs. Again. At least they waited until after Christmas. So while I lay on my bed and the kids run rampant (and possibly diaperless), I've been seeing scenes from some of my favorite movies, music, and tv shows from the 80s. Because I love the 80s. Ferris Bueller's Day Off. That one cool video that made me wish I could draw something other than stick figures and puffy horses. And Fawlty Towers.

That show began my appreciation of British humor. It's why I have a limited edition, collector's version of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Also, because I'm a dork. So it was only fitting that my hero, John Cleese*, could explain one of my pet peeves in a way that had escaped me all these years. Sure, I knew why what these people were saying was so wrong that it caused my internal editor to gag, choke, and possibly dry heave a little. But it took the perfectly eloquent Mr. Cleese and his Windows 95 clipart charts to explain it.



And since my current template tends to cut off the edges of videos, you might have better luck viewing it here.

* Thanks to the lovely and talented Annette for bringing this nugget of grammar gold to light.

7 comments:

Jenny P. said...

Love it! I love at the end where he says "and I hope I will not have to speak to you about this again."

So funny.

hairyshoefairy said...

Hee! That's a great clip. It's a pet peeve of mine, too.

Annette Lyon said...

No one says it like Cleese!

(Thanks for the linky love!)

Kristina P. said...

Yes! I used to say this, until I understood the error of my ways, and now it annoys the crap out of me!

Stacy Q said...

Wahooo!
I totally agree!!!

Want another one?

You're Christmas shopping, you see a sale for:
"TV's, STEREO's, VCR's!"

They're actually selling, TVs, stereos, and VCRs but somehow in the misplaced apostrophe conundrum someone decided they desperately need an apostrophe when talking about multiple appliances. But of course the apostrophe shouldn't be there and they're actually advertising some other unidentified things that belong to their TV, VCR, and stereo.
Auuuggghhh!

Rant rant rant...

Mary said...

I LOVE monty python & John Cleese! I also hate when people say "suposebly"...and my husband pronounces theoretically, "theory-etically," which he does all the time b/c he knows how much it annoys me!

rocslinger said...

Lets see, could I care less? yeaaah, probably;)

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive