"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Haze


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is one of my favorite authors. I've adored his Saga of Recluse series and it's various offshoots. When I got to meet him in person last year, there was no chance I'd be calm, cool, and collected. And I totally wasn't. After talking about his Recluse series for a few moments (and finally asking some questions that had bothered me since high school), he asked if I had read any of his other books. Gulp. So I vowed to make the effort. Haze is his latest book, set in more of a science fiction than a fantasy setting. And boy, is it different.

A thousand years ago, the United States crumbled and the Chinese took over, converting the world to a more efficient way of living, where excess is punished. Keir Roget, a descendent of the fallen North Americans, works as an agent of the Federation, seeking out rebels and wastes of resources undercover. His latest assignment sends him to investigate a new planet, one that was colonized by dissidents that escaped from Earth nearly 2,000 years before. He thought his goal at secrecy was simple enough. What he didn't expect was that they'd be waiting for him.

Here's the Teaser:
"His internal monitors indicated that he's lost a full minute of consciousness,but there were no recognized toxins in his system. Not yet. He'd known Marni wasn't trustworthy, but he hadn't expected her to attack or do whatever in a public restaurant in the middle of the day."
- pg 132, Haze by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.


What are you reading?

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

That doesn't sound good. I wonder what she did.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Unknown said...

That is so cool that you got to meet him! I don't know how I'd react if I met my favorite authors.

Cherie Reich said...

Great teaser! It makes me wonder why the character was attacked.

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Kay said...

Very intriguing teaser.

Thanks for stopping by my teaser Tuesday.

Stephanie @ Bookfever said...

Interesting teaser!

Here's my Teaser!

~Stephanie @ Bookfever

Miss Angie said...

OOh, sounds gripping! You inspired me to play along again with Teaser Tuesdays, now that I'm back with the reading bug.

Monaliz said...

Okay, that's definitely some pretty creepy teaser! So thanks for sharing, definitely need to check this out some time :)

And thanks for stopping by!

Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive