"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Monday, November 26, 2012

BBC's 100 Most Loved Books 26-50


26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy Nah.
27. Middlemarch, George Eliot I skipped the month my book group read this one...
28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving Well, I've heard of it. Does that count?
29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck Good. The play was kinda dumb, though.
30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll Actually read this!
31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson Just looked this one up and I can't believe I've never read it.
32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez Looks interesting.
33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett How do you make the zerbert sound? Phhbbbtt. Yeah, that's how I felt about this book.
34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens Read as a kid.
35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl The book was awesome! And I even liked both versions of the movie.
36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson It's been ages. 
37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute Kinda heart-rending.
38. Persuasion, Jane Austen The ending was awesome. Not because it was over, though.
39. Dune, Frank Herbert This is the one with the "spice," right? Haven't read the whole thing.
40. Emma, Jane Austen The book was good and I loved the movie with Hugh Grant. Not so much the Clueless version.
41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery Would you hate me if I haven't read this? Cause I haven't.
42. Watership Down, Richard Adams Loved those creepy rabbits.
43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald Read it. Still don't know what made Gatsby so great.
44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas Started to read it. Skipped lots. Didn't understand the end. Should probably give it another try.
45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh Never heard of it.
46. Animal Farm, George Orwell Freshman English. How can I forget?
47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens Good story. But I like the Doctor Who version better.
48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy I've seen this one of these lists but still haven't read it. Is it worth it?
49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian Why are so many of these books based around WWII? Haven't read this one, though.
50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher Well, lots of my friends have read this one.

2 comments:

Janell said...

#26. Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Forced to read it in high school, and I recall the book as very boring.

#29. The Grapes of Wrath. Also required reading. I just recall a very long chapter about a tortise.

#33. The Pillars of the Earth. Started reading it. Then I flat out refused to read further. The book was much too coarse and vulgar for me.


#41. Anne of Green Gables. REPENT YE NOW! I first read Anne when I was 10 years old, but the reading level was a bit beyond me at the time. I returned to it when I was 12 and have loved it severy since.

#43. Great Gatsby. Read it. I recall almost nothing about it.

#47. A Christmas Carol. As you should like the Doctor Who version better :) My mom keeps this book on her coffee table at Christmas, and as a result I end up reading each Christmas I spend at home.

Jessica G. said...

Thanks for the comment about Anne of Green Gables. I was thinking of getting a copy for my 10 year old (and then reading it while she was in school) but I might hold off now.

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive