"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Monday, February 27, 2012

FHE: Lehi's Dream

It's been ages since I shared a family home evening. One we held recently is definitely blogworthy.

Opening Song: Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam (yup, we've got another Sunbeam in the house!)

Opening Prayer: The Boy.

Lesson: Boo.

Since her class had discussed Lehi's dream on Sunday, Boo shared their lesson with us. If you are not familiar with the story, here is a simplified version.

First, she summarize the first portion of the dream (1 Nephi 8:2-11) where Lehi dreams about a dreary waste where he wanders in darkness before calling upon the Lord for guidance and then sees a field with a beautiful tree. The white fruit of the tree makes him feel happy

Then Boo read the scriptures that contained the reactions of his family. (1 Nephi 8:12-18)

12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great ajoy; wherefore, I began to be bdesirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was cdesirable above all other fruit.
 13 And as I cast my eyes round about, that perhaps I might discover my family also, I beheld a ariver of water; and it ran along, and it was near the tree of which I was partaking the fruit.
 14 And I looked to behold from whence it came; and I saw the head thereof a little way off; and at the head thereof I beheld your mother Sariah, and Sam, and aNephi; and they stood as if they knew not whither they should go.
 15 And it came to pass that I beckoned unto them; and I also did say unto them with a loud voice that they should come unto me, and partake of the fruit, which was desirable above all other fruit.
 16 And it came to pass that they did come unto me and partake of the fruit also.
 17 And it came to pass that I was desirous that Laman and Lemuel should come and partake of the fruit also; wherefore, I cast mine eyes towards the head of the river, that perhaps I might see them.
 18 And it came to pass that I saw them, but they would anot come unto me and partake of the fruit.
After reading, she went back to summarizing, telling us about the other things Lehi saw in his dream: the iron rod, the path, all the other people, darkness, and a large building with it's residents. 


When the lesson was finished, Boo had an activity for us, a sort of play to act out the different reactions of the people. We moved our ficus tree out from it's corner, tied a rope to the base, stretching it out and then tying the other end to a chair. Boo wedged a flashlight into the base of the tree, shining up through the leaves, and I placed our treat for the evening at the base (large Toberlone wedges). Now we had our Tree of Life with it's "fruit" (hey, I thought it was very desirable!) and our rope rod. She turned off the lights to simulate the dark and dreary waste. Playing the part of Lehi, the Man went to the tree first, had some chocolate, considered eating it all himself but gave in to his daughter's demands, and called the rest of us to join him. As Nephi and Sam, Baby and Boo went next, following the rod until they reached their goal. I was Sariah and made my way to the Tree. But the Snowman and the Boy were Laman and Lemuel, and decided to horse around instead of  holding to the rod. They ended up in another part of the room, pointing their fingers and making faces at us, which would have been hilarious if the room hadn't been so dark and we couldn't see their faces. 


Closing Song: Book of Mormon Stories.


Closing Prayer: The Man.


Treats: The Man was recently returned from a trip to London and brought back lots of chocolate for me. I was nice enough to share it. But only a little, and then it went right back into my chocolate hiding place.

1 comment:

elesa said...

Nice. I think it is time to step up my FHE game.

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive