"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Briar Rose


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



Do you have an immense To Be Read pile? One that takes over an entire shelf and maybe squeezes into the kids' books, too? I do. But how can I resist a book that sounds really interesting, or that a good friend recommends…or even a complete stranger? Because sometimes those complete strangers really know what they're talking about. So I've been trying to go through some of those books. Briar Rose was recommended to me by a computer. And while all the single males it might have referred me to while in college didn't work out, this time those circuits get it right.

Becca, the youngest of three sisters, always begged her grandmother Gemma to tell the story of Briar Rose (or Sleeping Beauty to you Disney-indoctrinated folk). So when on her deathbed, Gemma leaves a haunting confession, Becca promises to find the truth, crossing the globe to do so. Because what if Gemma was telling the truth? What if the old Jewish woman really was Briar Rose?

Here's the Teaser:
She attempted a smile. "Fairy tales always have a happy ending." 
He leaned back in his chair. "That depends." 
"On what?" 
"On whether you are Rumplestiltskin or the Queen."
- pg. 106, Briar Rose by Jane Yolen



What are you reading?

14 comments:

Jeannette said...

Another one to add to my huge TBR list! This one sounds lovely - thanks for the recommendation!


My TT this week is from Everybody Sees The Ants.

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard of this book, it sounds great. Who would have thought Briar Rose was Sleeping Beauty's real name? ;)

Nyx said...

Never heard of this book before. Nice teaser.

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

-Nyx @ Unraveling Words

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

Oooh...this intrigues me! I'm not sure that I've heard of this book before, but I'm definitely interested in finding out more.

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting way to look at fairy tales!!

mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/teaser-tuesday-the-lightening-thief/

Cyn @ Bookmunchies said...

It's been so long since I've read this! Love the teaser, thanks for sharing!

Here's my Teaser Tuesday at Bookmunchies (:

Unknown said...

This sounds interesting! I should added to TBR shelf for later, I have so many I don't know which one to pick next.

Daphne said...

Huh that's interesting! I've never thought about it that way. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

Tobi Summers said...

Ohh, I really like this teaser. I'm going to have to check out this book.

Thanks for stopping by mine!

Wordsmith Publicity said...

Haven't seen this one around. Thanks for sharing.

Nay said...

Ooh this sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing it, I'll put this on my wishlist :)

And thanks for popping by my blog and commenting :)

Nay x

Golden Eagle said...

Jane Yolen? I'll have to check out this book.

Great teaser!

Cherie Reich said...

Ooo, love the teaser! I'll have to get this book!

Thanks for stopping by my TT!

Kar.- said...

I love the teaser! The book really does sound interesting! I'll check it out :)
Thanks for stopping by my TT :)

Kar @ Pause Time

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive