"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Underworld


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.


I am obsessed with mythology. There are several collections of fairy tales, folklores, and myths on my bookshelf. However, I am a bit of a purest. Disney's fairy tales cause a visceral reaction (especially The Little Mermaid, but don't get me started). So I hesitate to read books by treasured authors that are inspired by myths for fear that I will have to hate them a little. But I liked Orson Scott Card's Enchantment, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. And Meg Cabot's Abandon series, which is a modern Hades and Persephone. I've read both and was not disappointed (until like all of Tannith Lee's retellings).

Sure the main character seems flighty and kinda simple, but I love John. Even with his violent streaks.

Here's the Teaser:

"Still, that didn't explain why one of the women -- the grandmother, if her gray hair was any indication -- took one look at my face, made the sign of the cross, cried, "!Dios mio!" then passes out cold right in front of us."
- pg 97, Underworld (Abandon #2) by Meg Cabot


What are you reading?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive